Monday, November 21, 2011

Oh how time flies...

So, lately I've noticed how fast time flies. I mean, you always look at the calender at the end of the month thinking, "Wow that went by fast!", but this month, I seriously have been so surprised at how fast time has gone by for me. Really, I have been even more amazed at how time has gone by in general.

For example, I've seen how my cute little cousins have become grown ups and how my little brothers have become such responsible young men, and this seems crazy to me! I think about what my life plan was when I was my youngest brother's age, 16, and I'm kind of disappointed. But then again I'm not. I've done a lot in the past few years and although there are things I wish I could have done differently, I wouldn't be the person I am today without having gone through those experiences.

I remember when I was in 8th grade, I made a list of what I wanted my life 10 years from them. I was 14 at the time. I've gone over that letter recently and man was I crazy back then!
Here is what some of my letter said:

I will have moved out of my house.
I will be done with college.
I will have my career established.
I will be a business woman.
I want to be married.
I want to have great money.

Well, those were a few of the things I "wanted" for my life at my age now.

Out of those 6 things, I have only accomplished 1 of them. ONE. I moved out of my house. Let me tell you, it's been an adventure. I've gone to college and I am no where near close to being finished. Which would trump the business woman, and great money ideas. Also, I am not married.

It's funny how when I was 13, I thought that all of these things were what was going to make me happy. Little did I know the amazing changes I was going to go through that have really taught me a lot. So, in honor of the 10 year anniversary of this letter to my future, I am going to write myself another letter. Only this time, it is going to be from me now at 23, to myself at age 13.

I was going through a hard time when I was 13 and did for a while. I always tell people how I would be a genius if I knew what I know now when I was in jr. high and high school. If I could tell myself anything, here is what I would say. And preface, I am not all up on myself or anything, just a little confidence booster ya know?

1. Be completely honest and loyal to your TRUE friends. You know who they are. They are the ones that will help you when you truly need it.
2. Cherish the time you have with your parents. They only want to see you be the best you can be. And...they are always right. Unfortunately.
3. Become closer with your brothers. Even though they don't show it, they love you and will do anything for you. I mean ANYTHING.
4. Don't worry about being "FAT". You are not fat and you are a beautiful young lady. You have so much potential you don't see in yourself. You are smart. Don't beat yourself up about your appearance. You really are beautiful. Love yourself.
5. Don't worry about boys. Just have fun and be yourself!
6. High school sucks! It sucks for everyone, but you are a smart, wonderful person and you are going to be ok. NOBODY, remembers what happened in high school. If they do, they need to learn to move on and you shouldn't worry about them.
7. Have faith. All I can say is, things will get better. I promise you. Don't ever give up. Things are going to get rough, but you are strong!
Aaaannnd....last but not least....
8. Don't ever forget who you are. Remember what mom and dad said about being humble. That will be very important. Swallow your pride. Keep working hard. Again, love yourself.

I keep trying to tell myself the last rule, but we are always learning right?

Well, I was kind of embarassed to post this, but I like it. I feel like everyone should write themselves a letter. It really helps. Makes me feel like I'm not so disappointing after not meeting all my 13 year old goals! haha.

Thanks for reading! Hope I don't get too boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment